18 December 2019
Applicability: Shipowners, ship operators, ship managers, ship masters, bulk carriers.
Amendments (05-19) * to the International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes (IMSBC) Code will enter into force on 1 January 2021 and can be implemented voluntarily from 1 January 2020.
The amendments introduce new individual cargo schedules with specific carriage requirements for the following Group B cargoes (cargoes that possess a chemical hazard which could give rise to a dangerous situation on a ship):
- Flue Dust, containing Lead and Zinc.
- Matte containing Copper and Lead.
- Metal Sulphide concentrates, self-heating UN 3190.
- Seed Cakes and Other Residues of Processed Oily Vegetables.
- Zinc Oxide-Enriched Flue Dust.
What should owners and operators do now?
Certification that includes the new cargoes can be requested from Lloyd’s Register after the voluntary application date.
Other changes to the IMSBC Code
- The ‘Characteristics’ table, which has been replaced for each individual cargo schedule to clarify the Hazard Classification (subsidiary hazard(s) and MHB).
- The existing individual schedule for “Seed Cake (non-hazardous)” is deleted.
- Addition of a Group A cargo schedule for Bauxite Fines and a corresponding test procedure for determining transportable moisture limit (TML) of Bauxite cargoes.
* For more details on the amendments and a full list of the new cargoes added to the IMSBC Code, please see IMO Resolution MSC.462(101) – Amendments 05-19 – Consolidated version of the IMSBC Code.