10 August 2018
Applicability: Shipowners, builders and designers
The IMO has adopted the amendments to Regulation 21, Chapter 4 of MARPOL Annex VI** regarding the Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI) requirements for ro-ro cargo and ro-ro passenger ships. The amendments concerning the new parameters from phase 2 increase the reference line by 20% and introduce a DWT threshold value for larger ro-ro cargo ships of 17,000 DWT and ro-pax of 10,000 DWT.
In Table 2 (‘Parameters for determination of reference values for the different ship types’), paragraph 3, rows 2.34 and 2.35 for ro-ro cargo ships and ro-ro passenger ships are replaced by the following:
* to be used from phase 2 and thereafter.
The amendments will enter into force on 1 September 2019 and will apply for phase 2 and onwards, i.e.
- the building contract is placed on or after 1 January 2020; or
- the building contract is placed before 1 January 2020, and the delivery is on or after 1 January 2024; or
in the absence of a building contract,
- the keel is laid, or the ship is at a similar stage of construction, on or after 1 July 2020; or
- the keel is laid, or the ship is at a similar stage of construction, before 1 July 2020, and the delivery is on or after 1 January 2024.
The IMO encourages early application of the aforesaid amendments to ro-ro cargo ships and ro-ro passenger ships (as soon as possible), prior to entry into force, with the agreement of the flag administration.
**The amendments to MARPOL Annex VI, Chapter 4 are detailed in Resolution MEPC.301(72).
Advice to ship owners
Owners wishing to apply the revised reference lines to the newbuild ro-ro cargo ships and ro-pax in phase 1, prior to entry into force, should check whether the flag administration permits the early implementation.
For further information